IMHO, This is a great book. Period.
Below are some notes. I will put more here when possible.
- An organization is a machine consisting two major parts: culture and people.
- A great organization should have both great people and great culture.
- Great people have great character and capabilities.
- Great culture brings problems and disagreements to the surface and solve them well.
- In order to achieve both great work and great relationships, one can’t compromise the uncompromisable.
- A believability-weighted idea meritocracy is the best system for making effective decisions.
How to get the culture right?
- Trust in radical truth and radical transparency
- Don’t fear from knowing truth.
- Have integrity and demand it from others.
- Speak up, own it, or get out.
- Be radically transparent
- Cultivate meaningful work and meaningful relationships
- Be loyal to common mission.
- Be crystal clear on what the deal is.
- Treasure honorable people.
- Create a culture in which it is ok to make mistakes and unacceptable not to learn from them
- Get and stay in sync
- Know how and disagree well.
- Be open-minded and assertive.
- Believability weight your decision making
- Recognize how to get beyond disagreements
How to get the people right?
- WHO is more important than WHAT.
- Hire right, because the penalties of hiring wrong are huge.
- Constantly train, test, evaluate, and sort people.